Houseflies are one of the most festering living organisms on this planet. They are considered pests as they intrude into our domestic territory and spread diseases. They not only cause harm to humans but also to other animals. Even though we find these houseflies spreading their wings in every nook of our houses or backyard, we should not treat them like familiar neighbors. Their activities make them a threat to our family and pets. We should take proper measures to get rid of them. In this article, we will discuss the most effective tips to get rid of houseflies.
Why are Houseflies Harmful?
Houseflies are categorized as scavengers under the animal kingdom. Thus, they feed on the dead and decayed parts of other organisms. They have a special kind of mouth part comprising spongy structures called labella and proboscis. They dab their labella into semisolid food and suck liquids through the proboscis. Houseflies sit on uncovered food items and contaminate them.
They also excrete on the food leaving their feces and urine on them. Since they ingest too much food at a time, they poop and pee at the same time. Their droppings are a lump of uric acid along with other harmful germs. Houseflies are carriers of dangerous pathogens like viruses and bacteria. Once we eat our food mixed with their droppings, we are bound to fall ill. Houseflies also lay eggs on the food items they contaminate. So, they eat, excrete, and lay eggs on the same plate they perch on. Some of the severe yet common diseases caused by houseflies are:
- Amoebic dysentery
- Food poisoning
All of these diseases are severe. If one has to stay safe from these diseases, they have to repel the houseflies from the domestic premises. Houseflies can be repelled using several methods and they can be prevented by deterring the things that attract them to our houses.
What Attracts Houseflies to Your House?
There are a lot of things that attract houseflies to our homes. Along with these pests come the high chances of getting severe diseases. If we find out the factors that lure the houseflies to your homes, we will be able to wipe off those sources. So, as we already discussed that the houseflies feed, excrete, and lay eggs on the same stuff they land upon. Here is a list of the things that they are attracted to:
- Stale or rotten food items
- Food waste and other garbage
- Dead bodies of animals
- Animal feces
- Fermented fruits, syrups, and juices
- Compost and manure
- Uncovered sewage
- Scum and filth in roadside drains
- Brightly lit areas at night
How to Get Rid of Houseflies?
There are several ways to get rid of houseflies. Some of these remedies are through eco-friendly organic solutions. Again, some of the measures are by incorporating chemical solutions to treat the housefly-affected areas. Chemical solutions are more powerful than herbal ones. But the herbal ones are better if you have kids or pets at home.
If you want effective and instant relief from the pestering houseflies, you need to contact a pest control service provider near your house. If you are unable to find a good pest control service in your proximity, you can contact the experts on their helpline number. Without much ado, they will send you the verified contact details of the best pest control services near your location at the best prices. You should call up these numbers and ask them to send a representative to perform a site inspection. They will send you the cost estimates for domestic pest control of houseflies. You need to pick the most economical alternative from them.
Professional Pest Control Services to Get Rid of Houseflies
The pest control companies have professional pest control technicians who are licensed and trained in their job. They know which remedies should be used in the interiors and the exteriors of your house. They know the right chemicals and the right proportions that work in eradicating the pests in your house. Furthermore, they find out the sources of the infestation and take necessary steps to solve the problem from its root.
Natural Ways to Get Rid of Houseflies
Again, if you are apprehensive about using chemicals inside your house due to the presence of toddlers and pets, you shouldn’t opt for chemical treatments. You can either ask professional pest control technicians to use eco-friendly substances to steer away the houseflies from your home. You can also use herbs and condiments from your kitchen as herbal pest repellents. Some of the plants, leaves, flowers, and condiments can be used inside the house or planted outside the house to keep the houseflies at bay. Let us know them better in the following pointers:
- Basil- Due to the strong aroma of basil, the houseflies detect this smell. You can use it as an essential oil or plant basil plants in your house.
- Marigold- These beautiful flowers are a visual treat and their scent drives away pests like houseflies and mosquitoes.
- Lavender- One of the most effective insect repellents that steer away houseflies, mosquitoes, wasps, bugs, locusts, etc., and prevents them from returning.
- Bay leaves- One of the most common condiments in Indian kitchens that is capable of keeping pests away is bay leaves. The strong aroma of bay leaves is an able housefly repellent.
- Catnip- This effective herb triggers a chemical sensor that the flies cannot stand making it a strong pest repellent.
You can also make the following homemade eco-friendly solutions to keep the houseflies away.
- A mix of vinegar and dish-washing soap.
- A natural mix of cayenne pepper and water.
- Making natural trap bait.
- Using a pyrethrin-based insecticide
- Putting up a light trap
- Using a sticky trap
How to Prevent Houseflies from Entering Your House?
The best way to combat the houseflies in your house is by preventing them to enter the premises of your house in the first place. If you do not leave any sources that will attract them, they will not be anywhere near your house. The following are some of the measures that you should take to prevent them from entering your house:
- Make sure that your doors and windows are sealed and that there are no holes or damages in the nets on the entryways.
- Your trashcan should be covered so that the pests cannot pick up the litter and leftovers.
- Keep the food items covered with fruit nets or in boxes with lids.
- Keep your soiled plates and utensils inside the sink after rinsing them under running water.
- Dispose of the waste every day. Don’t keep it piled on for days together as it will get rotten and attract more flies.
- Toss out the dry leaves and flowers away as these start decaying when kept together which lures the houseflies.
- If you are using pest control measures for other pets like cockroaches and rodents, you should dispose of the carcasses of these animals as soon as possible. Or else, houseflies get attracted to feed on them.
- Keep the lights in your porch or driveway turned off. These lights attract houseflies.
- If you have pets, keep them clean and clean up their poop every time they excrete.
- Keep your washrooms clean or else the houseflies can start buzzing inside your loo and feed on the grime on the floors and commode.
After reading the entire article, I hope that you got a clear insight into the nuisances caused by houseflies, the things that attract them, and the solutions to steer clear of them. I am sure that you will follow the aforementioned most useful tips to get rid of houseflies. I wish you a healthy life!